Reports To Practice Manager
Department Field Operations
A Dental Nurse will provide chair side assistance to the dentist during restorative and surgical procedures. You will be responsible for clinical nursing procedures and general basic maintenance of surgery equipment. Demonstrating excellent customer care skills at all times. Additionally you will be expected to act as a receptionist when necessary.
• To build a trusting caring relationship with each patient. To be calm, supportive and understanding.
• To maintain high standards at all times and to take pride in the work that you do.
• Anticipates tasks so that procedures flow smoothly and efficiently.
• Support your dentist in the work carried out.
• To maintain impeccable standards of hygiene and across infection control.
• To respect and promote the work to the dentist and your colleagues at all times.
• To clean and provide basic routine maintenance to the surgery equipment.
• To ensure that all instruments are clean and sterilised
• To pass instruments to the dentist during procedures.
• To prepare instrument trays and procedures.
• To prepare materials for use in procedures.
• To take, upon approved qualification, relevant x- rays as requested by the dentist.
• To develop x- rays and file appropriately.
• To receive patients in to surgery.
• To ensure that patients have completed all relevant forms.
• To ensure that all patients details are correct and are regularly checked.
• Monitor surgery stock items.
• To dispose of all clinical waste in a safe and appropriate manner.
• Change cold sterilisation fluid as recommended by the manufacturers instructions.
• Change x-rays chemical in safe and appropriate manner.
• Maintain autoclave water levels and ensure they are drained of water at least once per week.
• To assist maintaining patient records up to date when required.
• To maintain hygiene standards across the clinic.
• To act as a witness/chaperone.
• Prepare impressions for dispatch to the laboratory.
• Maintain cleanliness of all filters/suction/hand-piece turbines.
• Ensure all health and safety issues are maintained within the practice.
• To act in a discreet and confidential manner relating to business/ personal issues.
• Patient confidentiality must be adhered to at all times.
The above list of duties should not be regarded as exhaustive and the job description may have items added or removed from it from time to time as dental legislations change.